Monday, October 18, 2010

Graffiti Board!

High school students love to write messages and graffiti wherever and whenever they can.  I decided to use this to my advantage by creating a message board for my students to write messages and graffiti in French!  I purchased a white board and some colorful markers for this purpose.  Students are allowed to write on the board in the few minutes before class begins, or at the end of class if we finish our lesson a few minutes early.  The rules are:  1. Write in French only,  2.  Don't erase anything that anyone else has written, 3.  Be nice.  Here's a photo of the message board.


My students fill this board  in a week.  If you look closely, you can see that I taught them some texting phrases that week (Je t'm), so they tried it out on the board.  One year a student asked a date to Homecoming in French on the message board.  And often, students stop in after school to see what their friends from other classes have written to them.  I think it's a great way to get students to use the language in an informal and authentic way.  It's also a great way to keep students engaged for every single minute that they are in class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...