Monday, September 13, 2010

How to Use a Mannequin in Your Classroom #2: Learning to Count

Today we learned to count to 20 in first year French.  I used our classroom mannequin, Jacques DUBOIS to teach this.  The conversation went something like this (in French, of course):  "Look everyone!  Jacques has his backpack with him.  I wonder what's in it!  Let's take a look (I open the backpack and gasp)...oh my!!  There's CANDY in his backpack.  How many pieces do you think there are?  Let's count them.  (I count in French, students who already know the numbers join in spontaneously).  Wow.  There are 20 pieces of candy.  How many students do we have in our class?  Let's count.  Can you believe it?  There are 20 students in the class, and 20 pieces of candy.  What a coincidence!  I think maybe I should give all of you a piece of candy!"


So I passed Jacques' backpack around the room, and everyone took a piece of candy.  I know it sounds a little crazy, but I assure you that I had every student's undivided attention.  And everyone was smiling while they practiced counting to 20 with a partner!

2 comments:

  1. These are fantastic ideas! Merci bien. I'm going to have to see if I can get a mannequin for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour, Nina. I would love to hear how it all works out for you, and am glad you like the idea. I've had a blast inventing stories about my classroom mannequins, and continue to add more stories all the time. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, et bon courage!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...